Winery I Botri di GhiaccioForteAN ORGANIC WINERY IN TUSCANY
The Organic Wine (With Grapes from Organic Agricolture)
"i Botri di GhiaccioForte"

In May of 1989, Giancarlo Lanza, Doctor of Agriculture and Oenologist, together with his wife Giulia Andreozzi, herself educated in wine tasting and serving, acquired a vineyard located in the Tuscan “Maremma” hills, which they baptised “I Botri”, a vineyard previously owned by the descendants of a long line of traditional wine growers.
In 1970, new vines were planted, selected from the highest-quality varieties typical for the wine-growing traditions of Scansano.
The new owners modernized the vineyard as well as the production processes in the winery, taking great care to maintain the characteristics that are typical for the wines produced in the region: the famous red “Morellino di Scansano” and the equally remarkable white “Bianco di Pitigliano”.
To highlight the principles on which the new masters wanted to base their activities, they chose a new name for the winery as well: “Il Biologico”, a choice that received official recognition in 1994, when the Establishment was registered as a “Biological wine producer” according to the European Law CEE 2092/91.

VineyardTHE VINEYARD “I BOTRI”
Covers an area of seven hectares approximately, extending over two hills up to 250 metres above sea level, near the village “I Botri” from which it got its name, close also to the Etruscan settlement of “Ghiaccio Forte”, the latter located on the ancient highway “Via Aquilaia”, about 12 kilometres south of the town Scansano in the Province Grosseto. It lies at a distance of about 20 kilometres from the Tyrrhenian Sea; from its highest point, one has a dominating view over the undulating valley of the river Albegna.

THE VINES
Four hectares are reserved for growing the red grapes locally called “bacca rossa”: The Sangiovese variety is present with two clones of Morellino which account for 90% of the red produce, the grape “Prugnolo Gentile” taking care of the remaining 10%. The Alicante grape, itself a clone of the varieties Grenache and Ciliegiolo (”Cherry”), is used to produce the top-level Morellino di Scansano DOC (DOC stands for “Denominazione di Origine Controllata”, guaranteeing the exclusive use of high-quality grapes of the region).
On two hectares, white berries referred to as “bacca bianca” are grown: The Procanico, a clone of the Tuscan “Trebbiano, the “Malvasia” and the “Vermentino” together provide the basis for the production of the white wine Bianco di Pitigliano, a wine that also qualifies for the denomination DOC.

VIGNA I BOTRI (RISERVA)
Native Grape Variety
Morellino 85% (Sangiovese), Ciliegiolo 10%, Alicante 5% (Grenache) with Grapes from Organic Agricolture.
Vinification: tradizional method of slow fermentation Bottled After 12 months of maturing in small oak barrels.
GHIACCIOFORTE
Native Grape Variety
Procanico 60% (Trebbiano Toscano), Malvasie 30%, Vermentino 10% with Grapes from Organic Agricolture.
Vinification: without skin, under a controlled temperature Bottled After a brief period of a few months in wine-cellars.
VIGNA I BOTRI RISERVA
Native Grape Variety
Morellino 75% (Sangiovese), Prugnolo gentile 10%, Alicante 10% (Grenache), Ciliegiolo 5% with Grapes from Organic Agricolture.
Vinification: traditional method of slow fermentation Bottled After 12 months of maturing in small oak barrels

The clones present in the vinyard are studied by the institute of wine cultivating of a Tuscan University.

The system of upbringing
: Guyot and High Corden Spur. The system of pruning: 3-6 buds roughly.

THE SOIL
Predominantly calcareous, with loose surfaces.

Cantina
THE WINERY AND ITS VAULTS

There are two vaults, one for the initial processes of vinification and fermentation, the other for maturing the superior “Riserva” wines in small oak barrels.
Vinification is a process carried out according to traditions established over many centuries; the production of red wines involves an extended period of “maceration”, during which the skins of the grapes remain in the grape juice; the production of high-quality white wines requires a vinification process at strictly controlled temperature.

Si definisce vitigno autoctono un vitigno coltivato da almeno 150 anni nel luogo.
Vitigni realmente autoctoni, derivano dalla domesticazione delle viti selvatiche del luogo (presenti oltretutto sulla strada che porta al vigneto): il vitigno "Sangiovese" si pensa coltivato sin dal tempo degli Etruschi in questa parte della Toscana.

The player will show in this paragraph

© 2017 ibotridighiaccioforte.com home - news&gallery - location - blog - contacts